Eric Hinman ’02 promised to meet someone new, every day. Years later, he continues his goal in unique ways.

By Eric Hinman ’02

I am an only child, so growing up in the small town of Pulaski, NY, I had friends come over to play Ping Pong and basketball every night. I always enjoyed hosting the people around me. When I was at Geneseo, I liked throwing big parties because I loved leaving people with memories from great experiences.

At 26, my career dictated my life. My schedule was set by others, and I didn’t really exercise. I chased money, traded my time for it, and cared deeply about the public perception of success. I also resorted to drinking excessively to achieve a “state change.” I thought this was the way to meet people, to be vulnerable, and to have fun.

Triathlons changed all that.

I transformed my life and how I met people when I found the sport. I consumed less alcohol because it impacted my training and performance, and eventually, I cut it out of my life altogether. I shifted from seeking “type 1” fun—activities that were fun the whole way through—to prioritizing health, happiness, and purpose-driven work. Such “type 2” fun can be miserably challenging during the process, but fun in retrospect. 

And I set a goal to meet someone new, every day. 

In the beginning, I took most of my networking and business meetings over a meal. Sometimes, I instantly sparked a relationship with a new friend. Other times, I fought my way through awkward, one-sided conversations. But creating those connections has been so rewarding that I still do it, although how I do it has changed.

Training and competing showed me the power of meeting new people through activities we enjoy—especially those in which we face and overcome obstacles together. It is powerful to do hard things together, and in doing so, I was easily attracting inspiring and like-minded people into my life.

Spending time with people who have already accomplished your goals is the fastest way to expedite your learning curve. That comes with a harsh truth: most people have social anxiety when meeting new people. It’s why people crave alcohol, drugs, and caffeine to change their physical state.

I have found that contrast therapy sessions can also change your physical state, without the negative consequences. In contrast therapy, I go from a 200-degree Fahrenheit sauna to a cold body of water, or I take a cold, cold plunge, like dunking myself in a barrel of 38-degree ice water. 

Every single night, for nearly seven years, I’ve had upwards of ten new and old friends come over to our house to share a sauna or a sauna and cold plunge with me. Raising your core temperature in a sauna creates a sort of hyper-focus, allowing people to become vulnerable and share.

It is my hack to really, deeply connect with people. If someone messages me on social media, or emails me, or needs to talk business, I invite them to “come sauna.” We are going to be really vulnerable with each other. It’s probably going to be the best possible conversation we can have. And it’s going to be memorable.

It helps to surround yourself with people on a similar path with shared values, and I’ve learned that people bring incredible amounts of energy, ingenuity, and excitement into life.

Sharing self-imposed challenges and often difficult experiences has created many of my closest friendships. My goal of meeting new people for all these years has helped me build my tribe.

Read more about how Eric Hinman ’02 found his flow in this Geneseo Scene feature.